Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Auto-immune disease that is destructive in its own right.
Information 
This is how I see this disease.  I will elaborate as much as I possibly can that explains this disease in depth.  Its similar in nature to other auto immune diseases where it attacks the body.  Its just the parts of the body effected are different from one to the next.  For instance, MS attacks the nerves/brain of the body, Auto Immune Hepatitis (Moms original diagnosis) attacks the liver and this disease Celiac attacks the Intestines and can cause a nasty dermatitis rash. 

I honestly beg to differ that only the intestines/skin can be effected; as I'm like walking proof that my entire GI tract seems to be in an uproar for the last 9 1/2 years.  The journey itself is honestly wonky that I am definitely not a textbook case of the 1990's Celiac patients of that time.  This disease I believe can show up as many faces but only if you are genetically susceptible.  I personally don't know about sensitivity but  understand its almost the same as the disease without the classic immune response.  I however wont be covering it as i am genetically positive for the disease.  The link maybe could be there which very well could explain the symptoms I still have today even when not eating the stuff.

So what is Celiac Disease? 

Celiac disease is an auto immune response coded by a genetic defect on the HLA gene.  This gene tells your immune cells how to behave and provides the template for detecting foreign invaders.  When either HLA-DQ2 or HLADQ-8 is present and activated, the gene can tell the lymphocytes to see the protein giladin found in Gluten (Wheat, Rye, Barley and Oats(unpure)) as an invader.  Due to the nature of the reaction in the body and where it usually occurs, the villi can get destroyed in the process resulting in malnutrition, vitamin deficiency (A,B,D,K), and host of other deficiencies that will be discussed in the forum.

How do you get it?

Its a genetically inherited disease that you get from your mom or dad.  Either parent can give you the genetic defect and it can make the condition silent or it can make it very known.  Some people never show anything but deep down in the body's core a war is wagging.   For people that have conditions like unexplained bowel problems like constipation, gas, descended bowel or pain in the right quadrant, they very well could possibly have this disease in a silent state which when wakes up is very hard to tame.  It took my body 32 years to start to really show anything and I am still battling it out even being gluten free since 2012.  And the thing is, i didn't show normally.  I ramped up with symptoms unexplained and only a scope was giving them the answer.  For my mom, that wasn't the case.   Her liver decided to ramp high to the point it killed her.   One interesting thing though was when my doctor ran a genetic test for it, it showed that i was HLA-DQ8 back in 2012.  Years later as a gift in 2017 I did 23and me, it too said HLADQ8.  So wanting to know which parent, i had mom and dad do the test and the test came back that mom had both variants.  HLADQ2 and HLADQ8.  A year later she passed away as she was battling Auto Immune Hepatitis so they say.

Whats the treatment?

Life long gluten free diet and you must really look at what you eat in terms of grains.  You need to replace what you aren't getting or you will only get worse.  You decided to eat oats, you need to know where they are grown and whats grown near them and if that field ever had other bad grains grown there before.  You might even develop other intolerance's all because of the gluten free spread of products available.  You may even develop diabetes as a result.  In the end you have to constantly adjust to make sure you are getting the nutrients needed.

This disease is also a complete mid fuck.  For me, it lead to PTSD and now a life of anxiety medications because the disease just wouldn't shut up even though i was gluten free.  All the foods you loved and enjoyed you no longer can have?  Your life is re-written overnight once the disease is known.  Maybe some can handle it better than others, but i miss my beer on hot summer days, and i miss wing nights at the pub.  All this stuff is no longer gluten free. (Trust me, there is no good beer replacements; ive tried them all.  They all have a bad after taste; some chemical.  Yuck!  And deep friers unless dedicated are not gluten free)

You said other intolerance's?  Like?

Fructose Intolerance:  The tract can get so destroyed like in my case, i probably never ever regain those cells back.  no matter what i do, this sugar only gives me gas; severe pain and must me avoided.  There is no war between by body and bacteria for this sugar.

Sucrose Intolerance:  The tract can get so destroyed like in my case, i probably never ever regain those cells back.  no matter what i do, this sugar only gives me gas; severe pain and must me avoided.  There is no war between by body and bacteria for this sugar.

Dairy:   For some reason during my exposure i also developed an intolerance to Dairy.  No doctor can explain this.  My only explanation is it also got in and was seen by this defect and an attack was launched.  Now my cells remember it so i can never have a piece of cheese again.

Lactose:  The tract can get so destroyed like in my case, i probably never ever regain those cells back.  no matter what i do, this sugar only gives me gas; severe pain and must me avoided.  There is no war between by body and bacteria for this sugar.

Beef:   Very weird.  Maybe its hormones.  I dunno.  All i know is this meat makes my gut hurt really bad and i don't really process it very well.  (I know gross)  I honestly blame wendy burgers as i loved them so much.   I remember in 2006/7 when we had it a lot, every time i hurt in the right quadrant.

FODMAP:  Very strange.  A diet that seemed to give me strength and got me back to work in 2015; one that is suppose to be part time, i am permanently stuck with.  All sorts of fruits, vegetables and sugars i can not have.  The reaction:  Its like Celiac. without the destruction!